Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Triple Whammy!

Bug went back to school last week and he had a pretty good week. He seems to be adjusting well to all the changes with this school year. He even told his teacher that he loved her yesterday :) That is so nice to know that he does love his teacher, he does not give out his love freely or to just anyone.

Yesterday started out as a good day until the required fire drill. There are few things that Bug just has a VERY HARD time dealing with.

1. Loud noises
2. Fire (we can't hardly light a candle in our house.)
3. Lightning/Storms

So, you can see how a fire drill could send my son into a frenzy. You have the loud noise from the fire alarm itself, the very thought that the school was really on fire and the light flashing around on the fire alarm looked like lightning to him.

While all of this is going on at school, I am at home totally redoing my walk-in closet. One of Bug's teachers tried to call me during his overload breakdown because all he wanted to do was talk to his Mommy and I did not hear my phone. I check my phone fifteen minutes later to find that I had a missed call, voice mail and text. I climbed in my truck and drove down to the school. Normally, I would have just let the teachers deal with him, not wanting him to have to have me everytime he needs to be calmed down, but this time, I had to go see him. When I walked in his classroom, his teacher told me that he was doing much better. He seemed relieved to see me and just kept telling me how scared he was. After we got home, we kept talking about how the school has to have the fire drills so that the kids will all know what to do if there is a real fire. He seemed to be feeling better about it until bedtime. He had a really hard time going to sleep and saying that he didn't want to be alone. I didn't know what to do, should I lay down with him? After a few minutes talking to him, he seemed better and I left him to fall asleep alone.

This morning was rough and he had more anxiety about going to school today. I did email his teachers to let them know that he would probably have a hard day. I did double joint compressions and brushed him and left him at school. I have already received three texts from his teachers this morning telling me that he was doing okay. He is more nervous and needy today, but seems to be doing well. Thank goodness for the wonderful support system that we have at school. I don't know how I would make it thru the day if we didn't have it. I am praying that Bug can get over this very quickly...

No comments:

Post a Comment