Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hello, my name is Mary

I was inspired a couple months ago to do a blog when a friend sent me an email telling me that she wanted me to check out someone else's.  She knew that it would interest me because it was about a Mom's adventures with 2 boys with SPD.  I put it on a backburner until last week.  I had a meeting at my son's school and with that meeting came out those fears and emotions that get stuck in the back of my head and I revisited this idea that I should blog about my adventures with my son.  So, let me start by saying...

Hello, my name is Mary and my son has SPD.  For privacy reasons, he will be called "Bug" in my posts.  What is SPD?  The technical term is Sensory Processing Disorder.  Those three words changed our lives 3 years ago.  I always knew deep down that there was something different about Bug.  He didn't do things the way other kids did.  He didn't react the right way in situations.  Loud noises freaked him out.  He was the pickiest eater that I had ever seen.  The list goes on and on.  When we would go to the doctor, it was terrible.  He would cry from the moment we pulled into the parking lot until the moment we were gone.  It was such an emotional roller coaster ride to go to the pediatrician's office, people stared.  He cried, I cried and the doctors would say "it is normal for some kids to be afraid at the doctor."  I would look around the waiting room and there were no other kids reacting that way and feel even more frustrated.  Finally, at his three year checkup, his regular pediatrician said that his reaction was  "a little over the top" and referred him to Occupational Therapy for evaluation.  Now, that's where the joyride begins...

I hope that with this blog, I can help people understand what SPD is and does to not only the child, but the whole family included. 

No comments:

Post a Comment